Author Topic: New Dog in Town  (Read 8377 times)

Patrick

• View Profile
New Dog in Town
« on: January 11, 2012, 10:20:29 PM »
While riding Parent Road last Saturday, I encountered a "new dog in town".  He lives in the green house on the corner of Bruick and Parent Road east of New Haven.  The Australian Cattle Dog came up from behind me and chased me for 150 or so yards while baring his teeth and barking.  He was right next to my pedal and front tire pushing me over to other side of the road.

I rode the same stretch yesterday (Tuesday) and heard him barking at me from inside the house as I passed.  No doubt, this dog will be a nuisance as long as he is allowed to be outside and untethered.

upright jeff

• View Profile
Re: New Dog in Town
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2012, 02:19:38 PM »
I hope that anyone encountering this dog reports the incident to the proper authorities.  If the sheriff/police respond enough times maybe the dog's owner will get the message.  Could spare someone else or yourself from serious injury.
I spent half of my life riding bikes. The other half I wasted.

2011 Trek Madone Project One
2011 Cannondale CAAD10-1
2010 Cannondale Quick 1
2009 Trek Madone Project One
2008 Specialized Sirrus Pro

two_labs

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2012, 05:05:18 AM »
How about politely asking the homeowner to control the dog? BTW, thanks for the heads up as I ride that way to work.

John
"Trout don't live in ugly places."

2012 Specialized Secteur
2008 Haro Flightline 2

upright jeff

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2012, 04:45:46 PM »
That'd be cool if everyone was normal....believe me that is not the case.    I've seen dog owners standing on their porch watching "man's best friend" tear after bicyclists and joggers.  There are some real "crackers" living out in the country, especially in Huntington Co.  I'm not trusting some excited, nasty, bike hating dog not to bite me while I stroll up to a house in the middle of nowhere flying the "Stars and Bars".   My word against the homeowners' while I'm standing on HIS property?  I think I'll pass on that scenario.

If someone is breaking the law, let law enforcement handle it.  This ain't 1960 anymore.

2011 Cannondale CAAD10-1
2010 Cannondale Quick 1

momsailor

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2012, 11:56:04 PM »
I wish I had read this before riding last weekend.  Same dog chased me! I now know to report dogs to officials: Sheriff at 260-449-7735 and Animal Care and Control 260-427-1244
Indiana Code 15-5-9-13 requires that dog owners not allow their dogs off their premises unless under the onwer's control. Failure to do so is a Class "C" misdemeanor.  The owner of a dog that leaves the owener's property and attacks a person, resulting in bodily injury, is liable under the code.
I'm told that even if there is no injury, reporting the dog means that someone will visit the home and discuss the problem with the owner.

upright jeff

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2012, 06:34:58 PM »
+1

Last night's paper reported 2 dogs mauled an 11 year old and the man that came to his rescue here in Fort Wayne.  That was after the dogs attacked an elderly woman nearby.  FWPD shot and killed one dog and according to the article, "dispatched" the other after having to chase it down.

I do not comprehend comments I read on numerous bicycle forums saying "it's the owners fault, not the dogs."  Well in this case the owner is unknown and those two dogs will not attack anybody else...EVER.

2011 Cannondale CAAD10-1
2010 Cannondale Quick 1

Patrick

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2012, 03:48:01 PM »
Yesterday, February 28th, I had another encounter with the dog at Parent and Bruick Rd.  As I was heading west, the Australian Cattle Dog ran from the house on the southeast corner of the intersection down on the pavement and began barking and baring it's teeth at me.  I was ready with a can of Direct Spray - which I used to varying degrees of success.  The dog circled around the spray and kept chase until I crossed to the other side of the intersection. 

When I finished my ride, I called the Allen Co. Sheriff's Animal Control office  to report the incident.  I received a follow up call that evening and the officer stated he would go to the house with my complaint.  He also suggested I use Pepper Spray with the intend of spraying the dog's muzzle.  This would give the desired affect of stopping the dog's chase.  In 15 years as an officer in the department, he has used Pepper Spray with great success.  He stated that only twice has the spray not worked - both times on extremely aggressive/agitated dogs.   

I ride this area on a semi-regular basis and hope this "New Dog in Town" is dealt with in a quick manner, preferably put behind a fenced enclosure.

upright jeff

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2012, 05:31:36 PM »
Since you seem to ride this area semi-frequently, please keep us up to date via this forum regarding this ongoing problem.  Even if it is just a heads up that all is clear.

Hopefully, the dogs' owner is responsible and will take care of the problem, although I have my doubts.  If they were responsible this trouble would not be present in the first place.

Thank you for reporting this incident to the proper authority.  It helps all of us who are put at risk by this dangereous situation.

Ride safe.

2011 Cannondale CAAD10-1
2010 Cannondale Quick 1

two_labs

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2012, 04:27:27 AM »
 :)
I have cycled through this intersection twice over the last week without seeing this dog. Maybe he has been contained.  Hopefully this is the case.  However, fwiw, my route was south on Bruick turning west onto Parent. Perhaps I didnt cross his path?
"Trout don't live in ugly places."

2012 Specialized Secteur
2008 Haro Flightline 2