Author Topic: Magical Mystery Tour  (Read 6813 times)

Steve

• View Profile
Magical Mystery Tour
« on: May 14, 2012, 10:31:45 PM »
I am tentatively planning on leading my first Magical Mystery Tour on Memorial Day, Monday, May 28th. Watch the forum here and I will post more details with regards to the start location and time. 

You can read about what to expect here:

http://3rvs.com/joomla25/schedules/magical-mystery-tour

You can read about how you are expected to ride here:

http://3rvs.com/joomla25/touring-tales/106-leader-of-the-pack

Steve

• View Profile
MMT #1 ~ May 28 ~ 9:00am ~ Woodlan HS
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2012, 09:34:16 PM »
The inaugural Magical Mystery Tour will take place:
Memorial Day, Monday, May 28th at 9:00am
starting at:
Woodlan Junior/Senior High School
17215 Woodburn Road, Woodburn, IN

The distance will be about 50 miles and the route will meander along the Maumee river.

Be sure to read both of the articles linked above. There will be no maps provided so you should have enough miles in your legs this season to hang with the group at a reasonable pace. Paceline and drafting skills are expected.

Come join the fun!

Steve

• View Profile
Re: Magical Mystery Tour
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2012, 05:17:19 PM »
Weather is looking toasty for Monday.

Be sure to tuck a few bucks in your spandex as we will try to find a stop for refreshments. Also bring your state issue ID since cycling makes us all look so youthful and you may be asked to prove you are old enough for a cold beverage.

PS - the ride leaves on time and since there are no maps you will be on your own. That means tires pumped, helmet on, shoes clipped in and ready to roll out of the parking lot at 9:00am sharp.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2012, 05:42:49 PM by Steve »

Steve

• View Profile
Re: MMT Monday @ 9:00am
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2012, 01:30:14 PM »
Our Touring Director, Steve Pequignot, has test rode the old and slightly improved Bend Route. He reports excellent roads. I have scouted out a couple of stops along the way. Mileage will be 55-60 miles depending on what detours we decide to take and which turns we might miss. Bring your big bottles with plenty of water.

Bikesome

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2012, 04:08:21 PM »
Any estimates as to what the average speed will be?

Steve

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2012, 05:29:11 PM »
Any estimates as to what the average speed will be?

This is the first MMT so still shaking things out a bit. Also,  I don't ride with a computer so my answer will be a little wishy washy. I am guessing when you get done and look at your average speed on your computer at the end of the ride it will be 15-16 mph. Note, that means cruising along faster than 16mph and if there is a good tailwind speeds may pop up over 20mph. As noted above, you should be experienced in paceline riding and by hiding in the draft should be able to hang. There are no hills at all on this route, in fact I don't think we even have to climb an overpass.

Be sure to read both articles linked above, this is a different ride than the Fort 4 Fitness event on Saturday.

Just sit right back in the draft and plan on a four(4) hour tour, unless of course the weather starts getting rough.

Steve

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2012, 01:51:53 PM »
... "I'd like to say 'thank you' on behalf of the group and ourselves, and I hope we passed the audition!" ...

Great group of riders and a great ride for the first Magical Mystery Tour! Exactly what I envisioned for the Magical Mystery Tours. We all stayed together for the entire ride. Saw some new faces. A short break at the midway point in the park at Cecil, OH. Root Beer floats on the return trip through Antwerp. A reminder of why we all had the day off as we visited the impressive and moving Veterans Memorial in Antwerp.

Hope everyone enjoyed the ride as much as I did. See you on a MMT next month.