Author Topic: Nice ride yesterday  (Read 3779 times)

mheyes

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Nice ride yesterday
« on: May 13, 2012, 02:57:15 PM »
The weather was ? in Angola, so I did the weekend club ride from Homestead to Huntington on May 12. Nice group, old friends and others, nice quick pace going to Huntington into a cross-wind. At the left turn at 200E outside of Huntington I went straight instead, along the river and picked up Hosler and the way back.

The group ride back always kicks up in speed, so I dropped the group in favor of a modified route that saved me a couple miles and getting shelled out the back only to have a harder ride back. As it was, I had a nice tempo ride back and an overall very good ride. And quiet too, no screaming about "car back, coming around" and all that.

I guess the only problem would have been if I had an accident on those couple of miles when I was off the designated, approved route. I wouldn't have been covered by the club's insurance policy on that section. Oh, you didn't know about the club's insurance policy?

Going for a bike ride today with Sarah's mom on Mothers day...
« Last Edit: May 14, 2012, 01:14:22 PM by mheyes »

upright jeff

• View Profile
Re: Nice ride yesterday
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2012, 03:56:04 AM »
Hey Mike.  Weather was good for the Angola ride, mostly cloudy but most of the time just high clouds, some filtered sunshine.  Last 12 miles or so of the 64 mile route was into the wind and hilly, not so much fun.  Pretty lame food at the SAGS I have to say.  Lots of volunteers at major road crossings were helpful.

So what is the deal with insurance on a club ride?  If (when) someone gets dropped and they (me) miss a turn and are off the route map for a few miles...no insurance?  What if I get separated from the group and I have an old map?  Lot of different scenarios that cause me to deviate off that days' map.  I was on a club ride this year and early in the route the entire group deviated from the map I got that day.  Upon returning home I compared to some of my old maps, yep we just rode a 2 or 3 mile segment of the "old" map.  Happened again last weekend on the ride to Ashley, 3 riders (me) turned right following the map as the "pack" just kept going north.  Yelled out..."Right turn!" to no avail.  We three then had to hammer to catch up to the pack.

Seems like this will rear it's ugly head and become an issue at some point.   Sucks that so many things are driven by "legal ramifications" and not common sense.
I spent half of my life riding bikes. The other half I wasted.

2011 Trek Madone Project One
2011 Cannondale CAAD10-1
2010 Cannondale Quick 1
2009 Trek Madone Project One
2008 Specialized Sirrus Pro

mheyes

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2012, 12:01:18 PM »
Hi Jeff - that damn radar gets me some times, even though I say I'm not going to pay any attention to it. I went to the first 101 Lakes ride and the sags really sucked then too. I thought they would have sorted that out by now. For $35 entry fee, and with the many, many sponsors that the ride has you would think they would have better sags. I guess I won't bother with them next year either.

I really don't have any answers to your questions about your various scenarios, who is covered, who is not. Ernie provides all the answers at the club meetings, yet questions continue. Like whether or not I would have been covered when I took my detour. The answer is probably no. Yet, when the group goes on its own detour, off the approved map, I'll bet you dollars to donuts that they would be covered. I guess the best advice is just to be "In With The In Crowd". ;)

I'm just going to ride my bike, hope for the best, and ignore the rest ;)

« Last Edit: May 14, 2012, 03:39:48 PM by mheyes »

Steve

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2012, 10:09:16 PM »
Happened again last weekend on the ride to Ashley, 3 riders (me) turned right following the map as the "pack" just kept going north.  Yelled out..."Right turn!" to no avail.  We three then had to hammer to catch up to the pack.

Jeff, a couple things happened in Auburn on that ride. The lead riders were not reading the map. As I recall the road we were supposed to turn on north of Auburn is shown on the map as CR40 while I believe the street sign says Morningstar.

While the turn may have been missed I think the correct approach was taken:

1) When riding follow the group, do not make a turn that the lead riders did not signal and make. The danger that exist is riders beside or behind you may follow the lead riders while you are turning. This creates a potential for overlapped wheels and a crash.

2) The road we were riding on was a bit busy and trying to get all the riders to make a U-Turn just to get back to a misssed turn would have been more dangerous than simply proceeding forward.

3) Continuing straight was going to reconnect us with the route and allow us to head on north to Ashley.

4) While the Garmin's may be useful tools for some they are not foolproof and should not overide safe decisions or personal knowledge of roads that the computer directs you to follow.

With regards to the insurance, it is designed as a supplement and not a replacement for carrying appropriate primary care insurance. While nice to have I am not going to make unsafe moves simply to adhere to some map to qualify for supplemental insurance.